[gs-devel] 7.20 release candidate available for testing

rillian rillian@telus.net
Fri, 29 Mar 2002 01:46:22 -0800

Ghostscripters,

We're pleased to announce the availability of a candidate tarball for
the AFPL 7.20 development snapshot. Please download and test. If there
are no hitches, we'll upload to the usual places tomorrow and make it an
official release.

The source is available from:

	http://casper.ghostscript.com/~giles/ghostscript-7.20rc1.tar.bz2
	http://casper.ghostscript.com/~giles/ghostscript-7.20rc1.tar.gz

Since this is a development snapshot, we're not worrying as much about
what features are available,; we're mainly looking for show-stopper bugs
or errors in creating the distribution.

The major new thing in this release is Igor's FAPI integration, as well
as Ray's %diskn% implementation. The new devicen and associated
colorspace work hasn't yet been merged with the mainline and is not
included.

Also new in this release is that -dSAFER is now the equivalent of
'-dSAFER -dPARANOIDSAFER' in 7.04, limiting both read and write file
operations. This breaks some scripts, notably gv; they will have to
updated. Packagers and the driver/script/viewer authors are advised to
look at the new security changes including the  LockSafetyParams
mechanism.

Happy building,
  -r