[gs-devel] AFPL Ghostscript 8.33 beta release
giles at ghostscript.com
Sun Nov 21 22:39:23 PST 2004
Artifex Software, Inc. and artofcode LLC are pleased to announce a new beta release, AFPL
Ghostscript 8.33. This is the fourth testing release of our development tree toward the 8.50 major
release. We believe this to be a candidate for release quality; we expect to follow it shortly
with the first stable release.
This is a beta release and should not be used for production work; it is only intended for those
interested in a preview of new features and to help us get wider testing. Please give it a try and
let us know how it works with your system.
The release is available from SourceForge and mirror.cs.wisc.edu.
Currently only unix source tarballs are available; a Windows build will be posted soon.
New features in this version over the 8.1x releases:
* Topological grid fitting, an original method developed for Ghostscript by Dr. Igor V.
Melichev, improves the rendering of True Type fonts at small resolutions. See the documentation
for GridFitTT for information on this feature.
* The PDF writer now implements PDF 1.4 encryption. See the encryption parameter documentation
for more information.
* A new rendering method for shadings, developed for Ghostscript by Dr. Igor V. Melichev,
improves the quality and performance of rasterization on continuous tone devices. The new method
allows hardware or software acceleration with help of customizable routines for filling areas with
a linearly varying color. functions.
* This version contains the first release of Rinkj, an experimental new driver for some inkjet
printers using ETS screening. See the Rinkj section for more information.
* We now support PDF 1.5 files, including the new compression and encryption modes.
* We have beta support for Jpeg2000 compressed images, using the JasPer compression library.
This is only enabled as part of the default build in the autoconf (POSIX) build system in this
Thanks to everyone whose hard work made this release possible!
More information about the gs-devel