Ghostscript is an interpreter for the PostScript® language and PDF files. It is available under either the GNU GPL Affero license or licensed for commercial use from Artifex Software, Inc. It has been under active development for over 30 years and has been ported to several different systems during this time. Ghostscript consists of a PostScript interpreter layer and a graphics library.
There are a family of other products, including GhostPCL, GhostPDF, and GhostXPS that are built upon the same graphics library. Between them, this family of products offers native rendering of all major page description languages. Our latest product, GhostPDL, pulls all these languages into a single executable.
Full descriptions of these products can be found here.
In addition to rendering to raster formats, Ghostscript offers high-level conversion through our vector output devices.
Written entirely in C, Ghostscript runs on various embedded operating systems and platforms including Windows, macOS, the wide variety of Unix and Unix-like platforms, and VMS systems.
The current Ghostscript release 9.56.1 can be downloaded here.
NEW in this Release
- New PDF Interpreter is now enabled by default: See Changes Coming to the PDF Interpreter
- libgs is now threadsafe
- The PSD output devices now write ICC profiles to their output files for improved color fidelity.
- Ghostscript/GhostPDL can now output Apple Raster and URF format image files: via the "appleraster" or "urf" output devices (using the cups implementation of those formats).
- And more! Review the full release notes here.
The Ghostscript Blog
Here you will find news, articles and developer notes from the Ghostscript engineering team. Find it here.
April 4, 2022: Ghostscript/GhostPDL 9.56.1 bundles zlib 1.2.12 which addresses CVE-2018-25032.
December 16, 2021: Apache Log4J vulnerability – GHOSTSCRIPT NOT AFFECTED – For more info: CVE-2021-44228
- jbig2dec: A JBIG2 image decoder.