[gs-devel] xefitra internalise ijs?

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 13:08:39 PST 2007

IJS is intended as a plug-in interface. It depends on external driver
binaries which are specific to the printer. This allows to create a
driver and to add it to a system without needing to compile Ghostscript.

This way printer manufacturers could make printer drivers which users
can easily install without knowledge of compiling programs. This is a
very important step to make printing user-friendly.

In addition, this allows the driver and Ghostscript having different
licenses. So manufacturers can easily publish a closed-source driver,
without steps like buying a commercial license for Ghostscript or any
other program (and then even replacing system components by their own
versions).

Also a driver in a separate plug-in can be easily used with another
renderer than Ghostscript, for example Poppler, a PDF renderer (Note
that PostScript will soon be replaced by PDF as standard print job format).

Drivers which are built into Ghostscript are deprecated due to all the
advantages of plug-ins which I have mentioned above. Other plug-in
interfaces are CUPS Raster and OpenPrinting Vector.

    Till