[gs-devel] xefitra internalise ijs?

lazer1 lazer1 at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Nov 19 13:10:04 PST 2007

On 19-Nov-07, Till Kamppeter wrote:
>IJS is intended as a plug-in interface. It depends on external driver
>binaries which are specific to the printer. This allows to create a
>driver and to add it to a system without needing to compile Ghostscript.

>This way printer manufacturers could make printer drivers which users
>can easily install without knowledge of compiling programs. This is a
>very important step to make printing user-friendly.

>In addition, this allows the driver and Ghostscript having different
>licenses. So manufacturers can easily publish a closed-source driver,
>without steps like buying a commercial license for Ghostscript or any
>other program (and then even replacing system components by their own
>versions).

>Also a driver in a separate plug-in can be easily used with another
>renderer than Ghostscript, for example Poppler, a PDF renderer (Note
>that PostScript will soon be replaced by PDF as standard print job format).

>Drivers which are built into Ghostscript are deprecated due to all the
>advantages of plug-ins which I have mentioned above. Other plug-in
>interfaces are CUPS Raster and OpenPrinting Vector.

>    Till

the disadvantage is that it prevents all printers being usable from all
platforms,
you have to be on a platform that the manufacturer decides to support
and that will usually be Windows.

I dont understand why printers will use closed source drivers as all the
technology
is in the printer itself not the driver, eg all monitors use VGA.

what they should do is standardise a bitmap protocol to the printer and
move the driver to the printer itself, that way all printers by all
manufacturers
would be supported on all platforms.

eg standardise an opensource line compression algorithm as that is the main
issue,

The standardisation concept has been used for ATA, SCSI, VGA, mice, keyboards,
ATAPI, etc
I dont see why it cannot be used for printers. eg there are 100s of different
hard drives manufactured and you can essentially use all of them on all
platforms.