[gs-devel] othersubr #28

Ken Sharp ken.sharp at artifex.com
Sun Feb 10 19:02:31 UTC 2013

At 16:02 10/02/2013 +0100, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

>it seems that some othersubr functions beyond #0-#4 (Type 1) and
>#14-#18 (Multiple Masters) are standardized, sort of.  For example,
>othersubr #28 creates a random number in the range 0-1.
>
>Do you have any idea where this comes from, and where this is
>described in more detail?

12 and 13 are for counter control (documented in the type 1 supplement,
Adobe technical specification 5015), 28 is a new one on me. I've seen it
used but I do not think it is documented anywhere.

If its used in a multiple master, then it may simply be an Adobe
convention, rather than an actual documented feature. Hardly anyone other
than Adobe ever produced much in the way of MM fonts.

                 Ken