[gs-devel] Files that can be opened with -DSAFER

Scott Gifford sgifford at suspectclass.com
Wed Feb 27 08:18:29 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 3:09 AM, Ken Sharp <ken.sharp at artifex.com> wrote:

> At 17:47 28/01/2013 -0500, Scott Gifford wrote:
>

>  Wherever you have 'run' in your main program, copy the contents of the
>> eps file.
>>

>> Well, that's true I suppose.  Is there a better way to define it once and
>> reuse it many times?  The EPS files I'm using can be quite large, and I'd
>> prefer to avoid repeating them as many as 100 times.
>>

> You could try defining them as a Form resource, that's pretty much what
> Forms are for. I was assuming you wanted to run many (or at least several)
> different EPS files.

I ended up doing this, following the instructions here:

http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/en/ps/sdk/5144.EPSInForms.pdf

It was far more complicated than I expected, but it seems to work fine now
that I have it done.  It made my PostScript files standalone, instead of
requiring the EPS to be stored in the same directory as it, and also let me
run with -DSAFER, so it achieved my original goal.

I was hoping to get a bit of a speedup from this, because of caching and
less disk access, but it didn't seem to affect performance one way or the
other.

Thanks for your help Ken!

------Scott.